Thursday, December 26, 2013

First Shot Across the Bow

December 26, 1963

Capitol Records in the USA can not resist the rising tide any longer.  In response to a groundswell of
popularity, they move up the planned release of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" backed by "I Saw Her Standing There" officially into the US market.  It must have been about this week that I first caught the buzz.  I was just about to turn twelve and I recall being on a winter camping trip with the Boy Scouts (troop 269) in an old converted farm house at the D-bar-A camp in Metamora, Michigan.  Everyone had tinny little transistor radios including me and I'm pretty sure that is where I first heard the strains that would echo down these fifty years and beyond.

It's the first shot fired in the historic British Invasion!

Oxford University Press Blog Post


No comments:

Post a Comment